Anti Wrinkle Treatment is our most popular non-surgical procedure, as it offers such effective results in gently erasing the signs of ageing.It is suitable for:
- Furrowed eyebrows
- Relaxing lines and wrinkles
- Forehead lines/frown lines
- Crow’s feet
- Lines in the neck
- Dimpling on the chin
- Excessive perspiration
Anti Wrinkle Treatment works to relax the muscles used when you frown, squint or smile. Facial expression such as this creases the skin and causes lines and wrinkles to appear in the specific areas of facial movement e.g. frown lines. With ageing and slower collagen production, the problem becomes more obvious as the skin cannot repair so well.
Anti wrinkle treatment
Anti Wrinkle Treatment itself is a purified protein produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium.
It is injected into the muscles using an extremely fine needle, where it acts to reduce the muscle activity and therefore smoothes out lines and wrinkles. The sensation is a mild stinging, so there is no need for local anesthesia or pain killers.
The treatment itself is very quick, only taking around 10 minutes and you can return to normal activities immediately. You really can have Anti Wrinkle Treatment in a lunch hour.
The improvement is not permanent, Guide Time 3-4 Months. at which point a further treatment would be arranged to maintain the benefit.
Injecting into frown lines is a proven successful treatment. It can take anywhere from 7 to 10 days for full effect.
WHAT THEY ARE AND HOW THEY WORK
- Injections of Botulinum Toxin Type A (usually referred to as “anti-wrinkle injections”, common brand names are Botox®, Azzalure®, Dysport®, Xeomin®, Vistabel®, etc.) are used to treat frown lines, forehead lines and the small lines around the eyes (“crow’s feet”).
- They work by reducing the ability of the treated muscles to contract, allowing the overlying skin to relax so that its wrinkles and lines smooth out, giving a softer, more youthful and ‘rested’ appearance.
- The effect is fully reversible. The injections take at least two days to start showing any effect. Its full effects will be achieved within 10 days to two weeks. Usually, within one week of treatment, it is possible to have a good idea of the overall result achieved. The effects of Botulinum Toxin Type A injections last between three and four months.
- Botulinum Toxin Type A has been used very effectively for this purpose for many years and thousands of treatments are carried out safely and effectively on a daily basis all around the world.
- The treatment itself takes approximately 15 to 30 minutes (depending on how many areas are being treated).
- The discomfort is minimal and settles within an hour or two. Usually no anaesthetic cream or injections are necessary.
- After the procedure one can usually return to their usual activities immediately with only some minor precautions (please see below).
- Other common uses of Botulinum Toxin Type A include: excessive sweating of armpits and hands, squaring of the jaw (masseteric hypertrophy), “gummy smile” (excessive gingival display on smiling), plus many more medical applications. If you want any information regarding any other use of Botulinum Toxin Type A, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
ADVERSE REACTIONS AND COMPLICATIONS
Adverse reactions and complications are rare, however the ones that have been seen following anti-wrinkle injections are:
- This is the most common complication of treatment. You can reduce bruising by applying ice/cold packs. It is OK to cover up bruising with concealer/makeup from the day after your procedure.
- Headaches occasionally occur following Botulinum Toxin Type A treatment. This is normally only on the night you receive treatment. Take painkillers as you would with any other headache.
- Infection at the injection sites is remarkably rare. These are dealt with using topical (i.e. cream) or tablet antibiotics with no long-term ill effects. If you are concerned that you may be developing an infection, contact the practitioner that did your treatment for advice.
- Like with any other medication, allergic reactions to Botulinum toxin Type A or any other of the product’s ingredients are always possible. However, they are very rare. Please make sure to inform your practitioner of any reaction you may have had in the past to any medication, tablet, or drug prior to treatment.
- Eyebrows arching. This is usually one of the desired effects of treatment. However, should your eyebrows lift more than you would like, this can usually be treated easily. Please get in touch with your practitioner and you should be offered a review appointment.
- Eyebrow or eyelid drooping. If your eyebrow or eyelid droops following treatment, you should let your cosmetic practitioner know as soon as you become concerned, as there are several steps that can be taken to correct this rare complication.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding. ALL cosmetic medicine treatments are NOT advised during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the other ingredients.
- Inflammation or infection at the injection sites.
- A history of Myasthenia Gravis, Eaton Lambert Syndrome, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, or any condition causing defective neuromuscular transmission. These conditions may increase the sensitivity to Botulinum Toxin Type A.
- A history of dysphagia and aspiration.
- Allergy to eggs or egg proteins.
BEFORE THE TREATMENT
- Wear little or (ideally) no make up.
- If you are on any long-term medications, take them as usual. Please make sure to let your cosmetic practitioner know of any ongoing therapy (including non-prescription or herbal remedies) you may be on before treatment, especially if it involves Aspirin, Warfarin or any other blood thinners.
AFTER THE TREATMENT
- Avoid applying make-up over the injection sites for 12 hours (this is to reduce the already small risk of skin infection).
- Immediately following the treatment, you will likely have small bumps underneath the skin at the sites of injection. These should be gone within one hour. This is just the Botulinum Toxin beneath the skin. This technique allows it to soak down into the muscle rather than being injected directly into the muscle and increasing the risk of bruising.
- AVOID applying direct strong heat to the treated areas for 24 hours (e.g. going to the hair-dresser, using sun beds, any facial/beauty treatments, etc.), as this may increase the risk of bruising, inflammation, swelling and infection, and it also may reduce the overall duration of the treatment’s results.
- If possible, avoid any strenuous work out for 24-48 hours after treatment.
- Always remember the 3S’s of premature skin ageing and try to limit them: Sun, Smoking and Stress!
What is anti wrinkle injection?
The treatment is a natural purified protein produced by the Clostridium Botulinum Bacterium, which reduces the activity of the muscles that cause lines to form over time. It works by temporarily reducing the contractions of those muscles that can cause permanent lines to create a smoothed, rejuvenated appearance. When injected into a muscle, it temporarily blocks the chemical signals that make the muscle contract. Only minute quantities are injected and only the injected muscle will be affected.
How long does last?
Anti wrinkle injections last for approximately 3-4 months.
What areas does it work on?
The treatment is used to treat facial lines caused primarily by facial muscles. An example of this is deep creases between the eyebrows, crows feet wrinkles and forehead lines. The appearance of these lines can be dramatically softened with the use of anti wrinkle injection.
In addition, anti wrinkle injection can also be used in the treatment of hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating, where it is injected into the underarm area to stop problem perspiration.
How long does it take?
The anti-wrinkle treatment itself takes just a few minutes. You will see an improvement in the appearance of your skin within days and the results can last up to 3-4 months. In your consultation, your aesthetic Doctor will assess your muscle movement by asking you to frown or smile. This will determine the injection site to achieve the best results for you. Anti Wrinkle Injection is then administered by several tiny injections which literally feel like a pin-prick. No anesthetic is required and you can return to work or day to day activities immediately.
When will I see results?
Usually on day 2, though it will take up to 14 days for the full results to be apparent.
What else should I know?
To complement your treatment, you may also consider the use of dermal fillers, which add plumpness. You may also be considering a surgical approach to holding back the years e.g.face lift. Anti wrinkle injection is an excellent complement to these to enable you to get the most out of your treatment.